From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia(Redirected from List of ongoing conflicts)For recent conflicts that are no longer significantly ongoing, see List of wars 2003–current.
Major wars – 1000+ deaths per year Other conflicts
The following is a list of ongoing political conflicts that are taking place around the world and which continue to result in violent deaths. This list is for the sole purpose of identifying present-day conflicts and the death toll associated with each conflict. Fatality figures include both civilian and military deaths. Political conflicts which no longer produce violent deaths are not listed here, but can be found in the historical list of wars and the list of wars extended by diplomatic irregularity.
 1000+ deaths per year
Conflicts in the following list are currently causing at least 1000 violent deaths per year, a categorization used by the Uppsala Conflict Data Program and recognised by the United Nations. The UN also use the term “low intensity conflict“, which can overlap with the 1000 violent deaths per year categorization.
Start of Conflict War/Conflict Location Cumulative fatalities 1967 Naxalite-Maoist insurgency
10,500+ (1,100 in 2009) 1978 Civil War in Afghanistan (5th Phase)
600,000-2,000,000 1991 Somali Civil War (5th Phase)
300,000 –400,000 2003 Civil war in Iraq
~100,000-1,000,000 2004 War in North-West Pakistan
30,452 2006 Mexican Drug War
More than 28,000 2009 Sudanese nomadic conflicts
 Other conflicts
There are many other smaller-scale armed conflicts that are currently causing a smaller number of violent fatalities each year.
 See also
- List of wars (including historical wars)
- Modern warfare
- Declaration of war
- List of rebel groups
- List of terrorist incidents
Lists of wars by date
- ^ “Definitions”. http://www.pcr.uu.se/database/definitions_all.htm#inten. Retrieved 2009-05-04.
- ^ “The World at War”. GlobalSecurity.org. http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/war/index.html. Retrieved 2008-05-12.
- ^ “Humanitarian Negotiations with Armed Groups, A Manual & Guidelines for Practitioners”. http://ochaonline.un.org/humanitariannegotiations/Chapter1-2.htm#FNfour. Retrieved 2009-05-04.
- ^ “UN peacekeeping chief says Darfur `a low-intensity conflict’ with 150 deaths a month”. http://www.startribune.com/nation/43815017.html?elr=KArks:DCiUMEaPc:UiacyKUUr. Retrieved 2009-05-07.
- ^ “India’s Maoists offer ceasefire”. BBC News. 2010-02-22. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/8529124.stm. Retrieved 2010-05-08.
- ^ Twentieth Century Atlas – Death Tolls and Casualty Statistics for Wars, Dictatorships and Genocides
- ^ Hundreds of thousands killed in years of war, says new president
- ^ http://www.vamban.com/global-war-on-terror-claims-30000-pakistani-casualties/
- ^ http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-10860614
- ^ http://books.google.com/books?id=N3LfkrrNM4QC&pg=PA215&dq=arab-israeli+fatalities&hl=en#v=onepage&q=arab-israeli%20fatalities&f=false]
- ^ Estimate Israel casualties of war
- ^ http://www.ploughshares.ca/libraries/ACRText/ACR-Colombia.html#Deaths
- ^ http://www.peri.umass.edu/fileadmin/pdf/dpe/modern_conflicts/death_tolls.pdf
- ^ This is disputed as some roots of the conflict originate back in the early 1900’s
- ^ Guide to the Philippines conflict BBC
- ^ The Mindanao Conflict in the Philippines: Roots, Costs, and Potential Peace Dividend
- ^ http://www.presstv.com/detail.aspx?id=132402§ionid=351020204
 External links
- PeaceReporter coverage of ongoing wars
- Global Security coverage of ongoing wars
- BIPPI coverage of ongoing wars
- History Guy’s coverage of 21st century wars
- Heidelberg Institute for International Conflict Research (HIIK)
- Conflict Barometer – Describes recent trends in conflict development, escalations, and settlements
- Insight on Conflict – Database on peace-building initiatives in areas of conflict
- Crisis Group conflict analysis
- Iraqi Death Total Over 600,000Retrieved from “http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ongoing_political_conflicts“